Here is a guide for maxing our your experience prior to the Reaper of Souls expansion for Diablo 3. The guide features an act 1 speed run which should yield around 200-280m xp/h on MP8 if you run at a decent speed.
The most important part is the group setup. A support monk for pulls and 3 high dps classes (barb/wd) for the killing,
What zones should I do? Well, that’s simple.
- Festering Woods : Secures you the first 2-6 stacks
- Halls of Agony Level 2 : Go here if you end up with less than 4 stacks in Festering Woods. Clear the entire level.
- Fields of Misery : Go here when you have 4+ stacks. Don’t do the events. The monster kills doesn’t give any experience
- Decaying Crypt : If you are lucky enough that you get this marvelous cave spawning you should definitely clear it up! Do level 2 as well but TP out when you get to the portal. Don’t do the event.
- Scavenger’s Den Level 1 : Don’t go to level 2. It’s a waste of time experience wise. Do the circle in Level 1 and return to Fields of Misery .
And the most important part of all: Keep backtracking to a minimum! Regardless of what zone you are in, try to backtrack as little as possible on your way. Backtracking is what makes your experience per hour go down the drain.
Note that while this may or may not be the most efficient type of runs it is a rather pleasant one. There is plenty of diversity for an Act 1 run, because you meet multiple types of monsters every run. But at the end of the day, who cares, really? We just want experience!